We work to create better places for people and wildlife, and support sustainable development.
Within England, we’re responsible for:
- regulating major industry and waste
- treatment of contaminated land
- water quality and resources
- inland river, estuary and harbour navigations
- conservation and ecology
We are also responsible for managing the risk of flooding from main rivers, reservoirs, estuaries and the sea.
Our priorities are to:
- work with businesses and other organisations to manage the use of resources
- increase the resilience of people, property and businesses to the risks of flooding and coastal erosion
- protect and improving water, land and biodiversity
- improve the way we work as a regulator to protect people and the environment and support sustainable growth